Siena Heights’ unique English curriculum provides students with a breadth of courses in literature, literary and cultural theory and writing. Our English major offers concentrations in Literary Studies and Secondary English Education.
Learn more about what the Siena Effect can do for you.
Versatile and enriching, the English major is a vibrant part of the liberal arts at Siena Heights.
Siena Heights’ unique curriculum provides students with a breadth of courses in literature, literary and cultural theory and writing. Our English major offers concentrations in Literary Studies and Secondary English Education.
And our English: Creative Writing Major allows students to take workshops throughout their academic career and to focus on fiction, poetry, scriptwriting and unique areas like graphic novels.
All English and English: Creative Writing majors end their careers with a self-directed senior project in which they explore a topic of their choice and complete a lengthy written project.
Associate Professor of English
Assistant Dean of Humanities
Professor of English
Director of Assessment, Accreditation, and Institutional Research
The academic climax for English majors is their senior project presentation in which they showcase their literary knowledge and talent for faculty, friends and family.
- Innovative and exciting literature curriculum that explores British, American and World literatures, as well as specialized topics like African-American studies and gender studies and unique courses like Gothic Fiction and Food and Literature.
- Creative Writing curriculum that allows students to take courses in fiction, poetry, scriptwriting, graphic novels, and editing and publishing.
- Eclipse, our literary and arts journal, Spectra, our student news multimedia organization and workshops and reading with award-winning writers from across the U.S.
Students who don’t plan to teach often wonder what they will be doing once they complete a degree in English. Just a few of the possibilities are:
- Advertising copy writer
- Bookstore manager
- Court reporter
- Public relations director
- Speech writer
- Technical writer
- Professional reviewer of books or dramas
- Sigma Tau Delta is Siena Heights University’s English Honors Society and is open to English majors in Literature, Creative Writing and Communications. The club exists to prepare students for professional life and advanced study, while cultivating leadership skills and raising awareness of English studies on campus.
- Spectra is Siena Heights University’s student newspaper. Written, designed, edited and managed by Siena students, the paper provides service Siena’s student body while giving newspaper staff valuable opportunities to develop the skills that can be used in a wide range of professional fields, from business to journalism, from graphic design to photography. To view the online version of Spectra, visit www.shuspectra.com.
- Eclipse is Siena Heights University’s student-run literary and arts magazine. Students write manuscripts, solicit submissions, raise funds, edit, design and publish Eclipse bi-annually.
Costs & Aid
We know that college can be expensive, but we don’t want cost to keep you from attending Siena Heights University! We offer numerous financial aid opportunities. Federal aid is available to students who qualify by completing the FAFSA. Feel free to contact us with questions about financial aid opportunities, or click on one of the links below.