The Program is designed to teach students to assess and evaluate social research, as well as impart a deep understanding of social theory and practices.
A capstone course concludes the program as a means of summarizing students’ accrual of knowledge over the course of their studies.
The capstone includes a practicum where students will apply their knowledge in a real-world environment and take on meaningful projects relevant to their studies
Learn more about SHU Global’s program in Community and Human Services.
The bachelor’s degree in Community and Human Services will prepare students to pursue careers in family services, youth and health advisory, community coordination and many more areas in service to the public.
The bachelor\’s degree in Community and Human Services – Family Services offers a strong overview of the social service field and the role of the professional as an agent for positive social change. Students can choose to either complete a general Community and Human Services major, or they can enhance their focus with a degree in child and family services concentration. The Community and Human Services program is designed for students with some previous study and/or experience in the social sciences.
This is a social work degree program that also prepares you for continuing your education after graduation with a master’s degree in social work or counseling.
Classes are offered in a 7-week format, and courses are flexible and are offered online and/or on ground. Finish your undergraduate degree in social work in a time frame that works with your schedule – in as little as two years, depending on your remaining requirements and availability
Careers related to the Community Services degree include:
- Family Services Program Staff
- Family Services Program Administrator
- Community Agency Program Staff
- Community Agency Program Coordinator
- Cooperative Extension Service Agent
- Cooperative Extension Service Specialist
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Program Director for Youth
- Program Staff Member for the Elderly
- Program Director for the Elderly
- Child Life Specialist
- Government Policy Making
- Youth Advisor or Counselor
- Michigan Department of Human Services
- Health Advisor
- Grant Writer
- Newsletter Contributor/Writer
- Coordinator of Services for Refugees
- Family, Youth and Adult Group Facilitator
- Intake Assessment Specialist
- Foster Care Liaison
- Youth Mentoring Coordinator
- Abused Children Advocate
- Youth Mental Health Services Assistant
- Substance Abuse Support Services Coordinator
- Service Coordinator for Children and Families with Developmental Delays
- Hospice Service Coordinator for Nursing Home Residents
- Faith-Based Outreach Coordinator
Costs & Aid
We know that college can be expensive, but we don’t want cost to keep you from attending Siena Heights University! We offer numerous financial aid opportunities. Federal aid is available to students who qualify by completing the FAFSA. Feel free to contact us with questions about financial aid opportunities, or click on one of the links below.