Online Learning Programs

State Authorization for Online Students

Siena Heights University (SHU) has been approved by the State of Michigan to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). NC-SARA is an “agreement among member states, districts, and territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education” (NC-SARA website, 2020). Students located in NC-SARA member states may enroll in SHU online courses and programs. If you are an out-of-state student seeking to enroll in an online program, select your state from the drop-down menu below to verify the university status with your state.

Authorization in Non-SARA States

SHU’s online programs are exempt from authorization in the state of California.

Adverse Actions Disclosure Statement

To comply with the regulations, institutions are required to disclose adverse actions initiated by any state agency or accreditor. SHU online programs have no previous, current or pending actions to disclose.

Professional Licensure Disclosure Statement

SHU programs that prepare students for professional licensure are designed to prepare a student to sit for applicable licensure in the state of Michigan. To comply with regulations regarding distance education and professional licensure, SHU has not made a determination, at this time, whether a particular program meets requirements for professional licensure outside of the state of Michigan. SHU is in the process of researching state requirements for professional licensure in programs that lead to eligibility for licensure. Since each state’s licensure requirements are unique, SHU must review each state’s laws to ensure that the university is in compliance. If you are planning to seek a professional licensure or certification in another state outside of Michigan, SHU recommends that you contact the appropriate state licensing agency to determine educational and other requirements for licensure or certification. Note: NC-SARA does not provide reciprocity for state professional licensing requirements.

For the following academic disciplines (Counseling, Nursing, Psychology, Social Work, and Teacher Education), please refer to contact information for related U.S. professional licensure officesProgram Note: SHU’s RN-BSN Nursing program is offered as an online program.

As an additional resource, find information regarding licensures required for different occupations through Career One Stop database.

Online Students Moving to Another State

As an online student, you will be responsible for checking state authorization before you relocate to another state. Relocation to a state in which your program is not authorized could result in loss of transferability of your program credits. For state authorization, please refer to the drop-down link provided above regarding state authorization. For questions, please contact

Student Complaint Information

SHU is committed to resolving complaints, grievances, and concerns. SHU online students can refer to this link for the complaint categories and related processes to resolve issues. If your complaint is not resolved by this process, SHU online students from outside of Michigan can locate the contact information here for your state authority.