The Office of Residence Life at Siena Heights University has an opening for a qualified graduate assistant to serve as a Community Director for the on-campus apartments. The live-in position will start on as early as mid-May, 2014 through mid-May, 2015. Strong candidates will have direct experience in residence life, preferably as a resident assistant or apartment assistant. In addition, strong candidates will demonstrate service-oriented, organized, and mission focused characteristics for working with students in an apartment environment.
1. With assistance of the Office of Residence Life, recruit, select, train and supervise a community living assistant (CLA) staff of four, which includes bi-weekly one-on-ones with staff members and facilitating bi-weekly staff meetings.
2. Maintain 20 hours per week of office hours in the apartment office.
3. Supervise one to two office assistants.
4. Develop outstanding relationships with apartment residents, including during evening and weekend interaction, to foster a meaningful sense of community.
5. Develop and serve as an advisor for the Apartment Council as a method for students to express concerns and bring new ideas to the University administration.
6. Coordinate programming efforts in the apartment complex through tracking CLA programming efforts, providing passive programming to residents, creating bulletin boards, and coordinating events with the Director of Student Engagement.
7. Provide and interpret information to students related to all University, residence hall and apartment policies and procedures.
8. Administrate minor student conduct meetings.
9. Assist with utilities readings and maintaining the utility and billing spreadsheets and meet regularly with the apartment maintenance/custodial staff member.
10. Assist the Assistant Director of Residence Life with the apartment room change process and maintaining an accurate occupancy report.
11. Participate in all Residence Life training sessions at the beginning of the academic year and throughout the school year, including CPR/First Aid certification.
12. Attend and participate in weekly Residence Life leadership-team meetings and semester Division Meetings.
13. Intervene during crisis situations occurring within/around on campus housing.
14. Serve as primary first response to evening and weekend on-call support on a rotating basis.
15. Assist Residence Life staff with opening, break period, and year end closings.
16. Assist the Office of Residence Life with social media efforts.
17. Assist in the review of camera footage and serve as a liaison with the Department of Public Safety.
18. Other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s Degree required and demonstrated campus leadership in the undergraduate experience.
2. Must be accepted into the Graduate College at Siena Heights University, preferably in the Higher Education Leadership program, and complete 18 hours per year. A 3.0 cumulative GPA must be maintained.
3. Must be available evenings and weekends.
4. Must reside on-campus.
5. Excellent interpersonal communication skills, especially problem-solving and conflict resolution.
6. Position is hired for one year terms and may be renewed annually until graduate study is completed.
1. A furnished University apartment in Campus Village (please note, roommate(s) will be assigned based on preference and availability)
2. A University meal plan
3. Tuition remission for up to 18 credit hours total during fall and winter terms.
4. Stipend of $2500
Submit a cover letter and a resume with three professional references to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but priority will be given to candidates who apply before March 28, 2014. EOE