The Office of Student Engagement at Siena Heights University has an opening for a qualified live—on graduate assistant starting in late July 2014. The Graduate Assistant for Student Engagement plays a major role in supporting the Office of Student Engagement in the areas of leadership, service, student organizations, and restorative justice services. The Graduate Assistant provides support and assistance to Director of Student Engagement in day-to-day operations of the office; while also serving as an on-call first responder in rotation with the Graduate Assistants for Residence Life.
1. Support programs, student organizations, and services within Student Engagement in order to create a strong sense of community on campus.
2. Become certified for Restorative Justice and Conflict Resolution conferencing.
3. Assist in campus programming, referring, and facilitating conferences around on the Restorative Justice and Conflict Resolution.
4. Participate in all Residence Life training sessions pertaining to on-call responsibilities, including CPR/First Aid certification.
5. Attend all Division Meetings in Student Life.
6. Intervene during crisis situations occurring within/around the residence halls and apartments.
7. In a rotation, serve as a primary first responder during evening and weekend hours. Maintain communication with Administrator On-Duty (AOD) as needed.
LEADERSHIP AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
1. Assist in the supervision, and support, and evaluation of the work study staff for the Office of Student Engagement.
2. Participate actively in programs and committees across campus which promote unity and foster community among our students.
3. Assist in the development of the student development model for Student Engagement and other operations in the Division of Student Life.
4. Assist in maintaining an attractive, clean, and safe campus environment.
5. Maintain highly visible presence in the University Center and housing facilities.
6. Develop and maintain quality, professional relationships with all students.
7. Provide immediate short-term assistance for students in need and refer students as needed to campus resources including, but not limited to the counselor, nurse, or academic services.
8. Foster relationships and programs that contribute to the mission of Siena Heights University.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Successful completion of a Bachelor’s degree and demonstrated campus leadership in the undergraduate experience.
2. Availability to work well with a diverse student body, faculty and staff, and student staff.
3. Excellent interpersonal communication skills, especially problem-solving and conflict resolution.
4. Ability to plan, organize, budget, and implement activities and programs.
5. Ability to react calmly and professionally in crisis intervention and residence life emergencies.
1. Must be accepted into the Graduate College at Siena Heights University and maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
2. Must be available to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends as scheduled.
3. Must be available from July 30 through the week following May commencement.
4. Must be able to tolerate sitting, standing, moving, in both an office environment and residence hall with five floors.
5. May be required to occasionally interact with students that are ill or emotionally upset.
6. Position is hired on with a one academic year commitment with the possibility of serving in the position for up to two academic years.
This is not an all-inclusive list. There may be additional duties required from time to time to ensure the delivery of services from the Division of Student Life or the University in general.
- A furnished University apartment (please note, roommate(s) will be assigned based on preference and availability)
- A University meal plan
- Tuition remission for up to 18 credit hours total during fall and winter terms.
- Stipend of $2500
Submit a cover letter and resume with three professional references to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but priority will be given to candidates who apply before March 28, 2014. EOE