Bright Lights on the Heights Set for Oct. 1-3
The spotlight will shine on Siena Heights University Oct. 1-3 as the university celebrates Homecoming 2010 on the Adrian campus. This year’s weekend is themed “Bright Lights on the Heights” and has many free activities and events for SHU students, faculty, staff and alumni and friends.
(Revised Sept. 29)
Thursday, Sept. 30
Theatre Siena Opening Night: “Children of Eden” 8 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 1:
1-4 p.m.: Sacred Heart Hall Room 103
5:30-7:30 p.m.: Studio Angelico
Saturday, Oct. 2:
9 a.m.-3 p.m.: Registration Tent, Fieldhouse Lawn
5-6:30 p.m.: Fieldhouse Lobby
Books and More
· SHU Library Book Sale: Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Saturday noon-5 p.m., Sunday 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Bargains galore!
· SHU Barnes & Noble Bookstore: located in Archangelus Ballroom. Get your Siena stuff!
Friday, Oct. 1:
· Dominican Heritage Tour: 3 p.m. Meet at Sacred Heart Hall for this informative walk-around with the 2010 St. Dominic Award winner and Dean for Students Trudy McSorley ’70
· Stage Lights Welcome Reception: 5:30-7:30 p.m., Studio Angelico
· Women’s Volleyball vs. Concordia: 7 p.m., Fieldhouse
· Theatre Siena: “Children of Eden”: A musical directed by Mark DiPietro ’83, 8 p.m., Francoeur Theater
· Late Night Disco Bowling: 9 p.m.-midnight, Lenawee Rec/ZZ’s Sports Bar (520 College Ave.)
· Midnight Madness: 10 p.m.-midnight, Fieldhouse. Meet the 2010-11 Saints men’s basketball team
Saturday, Oct. 2:
· 5K Road Race: 9 a.m., Fieldhouse (Registration opens at 8 a.m.)
· Varsity Doubleheader Softball vs. Muskegon Community College: 9 a.m., Christensen Softball Field
· Alumni Volleyball: 10 a.m., Fieldhouse
· Dominican Heritage Tour: 10 a.m., Meet at Registration Tent. Guide: Trudy McSorley ’70.
· Admissions Open House: 10 a.m., Lab Theater, Performing Arts Center
· “Lessons learned with the State Police”: 10:30 a.m., Dominican Hall. Capt. Harold Love ’08
· Solid Gold Get-Together: 11 am, Dominican Hall. ($25)*
· Alumni Coed Soccer: 11 a.m., Zollar Soccer Field
· Football—The Tradition Begins: 11 a.m., Fieldhouse. With Head Coach Jim Lyall
· “Surviving and Preventing Child Abuse”: 11:30 a.m., Dominican Hall. Gregg Milligan ’85
· SienaFest!: 11:30 a.m.-3 p.m., Fieldhouse Lawn. (rain location: inside the Fieldhouse); Family-friendly and fun for all ages. Children’s activities, games, inflatables, popcorn, volleyball, community picnic, displays—even a corn hole tournament!
· Community Picnic: 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Fieldhouse Lawn. (inside Fieldhouse in case of rain)
· New Lights Academic Programs Open House: noon-1:30 p.m., SHU Nursing Building
· Farewell to the Field Tailgate: noon-2 p.m., Zollar Field
· “Making Art…and Making It”: 12:30 p.m., Gallery 10/Studio Angelico. Allan Rodewald ‘80
· Alumni Women’s Basketball: 1 p.m., Fieldhouse
· Varsity Men’s Lacrosse Scrimmage: 1:30 p.m., Zollar Field
· 2010 Alumni Awards Presentation: 2 p.m., St. Dominic Chapel
· Alumni Softball: 2 p.m., Christensen Softball Field
· Alumni Men’s Basketball: 3 p.m., Fieldhouse
· Homecoming Mass: 4:30 p.m., St. Dominic Chapel
· All-Alumni Homecoming Reception: 5:30 p.m., Fieldhouse Lobby
· Alumni Reunion Banquet/Awards Banquet: 7 p.m., Dominican Hall
· Athletic Hall of Fame Induction Banquet: 7 p.m., Benincasa Dining Hall
· Theatre Siena presents “Children of Eden”: 8 p.m., Francoeur Theater
· OCTOBERFEST!: 9 p.m.-midnight, Fieldhouse
Sunday, Oct. 3:
· Saints Golf Outing: 9:30 a.m. (registration open at 8 a.m.), Wolf Creek Golf Club
· Celebration Brunch: 10:30 a.m., Dominican Hall with Jamie Richardson ’87 discussing “Faith in Business and the Business of Faith”
All Weekend in Studio Angelico
· Klemm Gallery: Paintings by Roberta Paul, part of the Griffith Visiting Artist Series
· Gallery Ten: Recent Work by Allan Rodewald ‘80
NOTE: Golf cart transportation assistance will be available on campus all weekend.
2010 Alumni Awards Celebration
Don’t miss this inspiring program Saturday at 2 p.m. in St. Dominic Chapel when we honor Harold Love ’08, Gregg Milligan ’85, Trudy McSorley ’70, Jamie Richardson ’87, and Allan Rodewald ’80. The honorees also will speak individually during the weekend—check the schedule below.
Meet the 2010 Alumni Award Winners at these special events and at Saturday’s 2 p.m. Alumni Awards presentation program.
Dominican Heritage Tour
Trudy McSorley ’70, 2010 Saint Dominic Award
Dean of Students Trudy McSorley, long-time theater faculty and child drama director, leads an interactive walking tour around Siena Heights and the Adrian Dominican Motherhouse, exploring our shared history and values. Friday 3 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m.
Highway Blues: Lessons Learned with the State Police
Harold J. Love ’08, 2010 Recent Graduate Award
The Second District Commander of the Michigan State Police, and one of the first graduates of Siena’s on-line degree program, Harold discusses some of the surprising things he’s learned about life, people and crime. Saturday 10:30 a.m.
A Beautiful World: Surviving and Preventing Child Abuse
Gregg Milligan ’85, 2010 Sister Ann Joachim Award
A successful leader in Information technology and systems, Gregg shares his incredible journey from hellish childhood to healthy maturity, offering perspectives on how we, as a society, can prevent child abuse and assist its victims. Saturday 11:30 a.m.
Making Art…and Making It! An Artist’s 30-Year Journey
Allan Rodewald ’80, 2010 Outstanding Alumni Award
A successful muralist and abstract painter, both in Texas where he lives and in national and international markets, Allan will shares his work in and discuss the challenges, trade-offs and rewards of living by your art. Saturday 12:30 p.m.
Faith in Business and the Business of Faith
Jamie Richardson ’87, 2010 Outstanding Alumni Award
Jamie, vice president of the White Castle System, is familiar to many at SHU as the grillmaster at past Homecoming tailgates. This year, he speaks about the growth and development of faith as a guiding light in his career, family and life. Sunday, 10:30 a.m.
Athletic Hall of Fame Banquet
Salute the 2010 class of outstanding alumni athletes:
- Steve Emmons ’85: baseball
- Ridge Frew ’99: soccer
- Bevin Malley ’00: basketball
- Mark Merriman ’09: basketball
- Nicole Tobin Prillwitz ’01: soccer
- The 1978-79 Women’s Basketball Team
Toast the Hall of Fame inductees at Saturday’s alumni reception and Hall of Fame banquet. Then join Saints and friends for Sunday’s Alumni Golf Outing benefiting the athletic program.
New Lights on the Heights
New Lights: Academics
Learn about the newest additions to the curriculum—Nursing, Special Education, Environmental Science, and a brand-new Criminal Justice emphasis in Parole and Probation—at Saturday’s open house in the Nursing Building. noon-1:30 p.m.
New Lights: Facilities
Find out about the new Outdoor Performance Stadium, proposed University Center, new baseball field, and future use of Sage Union at Saturday’s open house. noon-1:30 p.m..
New Lights: Athletics
- Meet Head Football Coach Jim Lyall and hear about his vision and philosophy for football at Siena. Saturday 11 a.m.
- Catch the speed and action of lacrosse at Saturday’s men’s lacrosse scrimmage.1:30 p.m.
- Find out about all the new varsity sports at Siena including men’s volleyball, bowling, football, and men’s/women’s lacrosse. 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
The Brightest Lights: Class Reunions!
Classes ending in “5” and “0”
It’s your year! Call your friends. Contact the Alumni Office if you need help.
Solid Gold Get-Together: All classes up to and including 1960
Alumnae from the ‘30s, ‘40s, ‘50s and the 50th Reunion Class of 1960 are invited to a Solid Gold reunion brunch. Saturday 11 a.m.
50th Reunion: Class of 1960
Reunion contacts: Yvonne Kramer Bushey (firstname.lastname@example.org), Annette Rysiewski Gambell (636-256-4784), Susan Franks Stieber (email@example.com)
45th Reunion: Class of 1965
Reunion contacts: JoAnn Curtin Monaghan (firstname.lastname@example.org), Kathy Howell Mackstaller (email@example.com), Judy Kramer Pawloski (firstname.lastname@example.org), Carol Kulish (email@example.com)
40th Reunion: Class of 1970
Reunion contacts: Janice Osborne Cousino (firstname.lastname@example.org), Diane Moro Deveau (email@example.com), Carol Hrit Fox (firstname.lastname@example.org)
35th Reunion: Class of 1975
Reunion contacts: Margaret Scholz Noe (email@example.com), Jean Heller Durst (firstname.lastname@example.org)
30th Reunion: Class of 1980…and Friends
Reunion contacts: Michael Griffin (email@example.com), Terry Beurer (firstname.lastname@example.org), Allan Rodewald (email@example.com)
25th Reunion Class of 1985
Reunion contacts: Alumni Office (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For more information:
Siena Heights University Alumni Office (517-264-7140 or 800-693-0506)
For a printable brochure and registration form, please click on the PDF attachments below.