Learn more about how to establish a BAS Major.
A student can establish a Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) major by presenting a qualifying Associate of Applied Science (AAS) major from a regionally-accredited/degree granting institution. Consult with an academic advisor to determine qualifying areas. Siena Heights University can also award a BAS major if at least ONE of the following criteria is met and the qualifying program/training is a minimum of 35 semester hours in length unless otherwise noted below:
- Completion of a qualifying technical or allied health program from an ACCSCT or other appropriately accredited non-degree granting institution;
- For Example: Qualifying programs from Everest Institute, Health Enrichment Center, etc.,; or
- Completion of an appropriate qualifying MOCAC exam (currently 30 semester hours) or another equivalent nationally-recognized exam and has a minimum of two years related work experience;
- For Example: Completion of the MOCAC Automotive Technology assessment and two years related work experience; or
- Completion of an appropriate hospital-based training program for health care programs, has related registry, certification or licensure and a minimum of two years related work experience;
- For Example: Completion of an accredited Radiologic Technology hospital-based program, ARRT registry, and two years related work experience; or
- Completion of a specified professional, corporate, or military training program, has related registry, certification, licensure or its equivalent, and a minimum of two years of related work experience (a military major must include two years civilian work experience);
- For Example: Completion of U.S. Navy Nuclear Power School and two years related work experience at a nuclear power plant; or
- Completion of a qualifying community college applied science certificate program, has related registry, licensure, or certification and a minimum of two years related work experience; or
- For Example: Completion of a 35 semester hour length Dental Hygiene certificate program, licensure, and two years related work experience; or
- Completion of an individualized (mentored) program of study that leads to registry, certification, licensure or its equivalent and a minimum of two years related work experience; or
- Ordinarily, this has applied to long-term professionals who receive training in individualized settings. Consult with an academic advisor for more information.
- Completion of one of the US Department of Labor Bureau of Apprenticeship or Training (USDLBAT) programs using the following criteria:
- Term of 8000 hours or more and verified by the US DLBAT Certificate of Completion and Apprenticeship; and
- Related Trade Instruction completed from an appropriately accredited technical institution and records submitted to SHU; and
- The apprenticeship must be in an occupational area where a major can be completed in a traditional community college program; and
- Two years related work experience after the completion of the apprenticeship program is required;
- For example: Completion of an 8000 hour Millwright Apprenticeship, RTI from a community college, and two years related work experience; or
- Under special circumstances, a BAS Contract major can be established under the coordination and approval of the BAS Program Coordinator, Registrar, and other university faculty.
- For Example: Completion of Paramedic Program, licensure, and two years related work experience, Fire Fighting or other public safety training as a secondary area to establish a Public Safety Studies Major.
Other Important Notes about the BAS Major:
- The requirements for the BAS major are completed by fulfilling one of the above criteria. No additional courses toward the major will be required at Siena Heights University.
- Siena Heights University in appropriate cases may award semester hour credit for other substantial training which would not constitute a major.
- Unless otherwise specified and where applicable, 6 – 15 semester hours of credit will be awarded for two years related work experience.
Please consult with an academic advisor at any degree completion center for more information about establishing a BAS major.