Learn more about the Chemistry Program and its concentrations.
The Chemistry program at Siena Heights University provides a solid grounding in all the areas of modern chemistry. Our graduates have either successfully entered the work force, or have gone on to attend graduate and professional schools. Our emphasis is on producing chemistry graduates that have a firm grasp of the basic principles of chemical science and who are ready for a wide variety of possible career paths.
Coursework is complemented by two other experiences that help to make our graduates more skilled and competent chemists.
The first is an opportunity to participate in an internship at a local chemistry company. Here, students get a chance to see first-hand what it means to be a professional chemist. In addition, students become involved in on-going research projects, and are often given their own projects to complete.
The second experience is the completion of a chemistry research project during the junior and senior years. With the guidance of the chemistry faculty, students will plan and carry out the project, and then provide a written report, followed by an oral presentation of the project and its results.
Recent senior projects have included:
- A theoretical study of compound stabilities
- Design and testing of solvent resistant polymers
- Isolation and assay of an enzyme from beef liver
- The study of the relationship between molecular structure and reactivity
- Catalysis of the hydroxamate hydrolysis reaction
- Computational study of protein-ligand binding
- Synthesis of the plant metabolite camalexin
These activities emphasize not only the abilities necessary to carry out meaningful research, but also stress the importance of having good communications skills.