Meet Kathryn Burke
Child Development InstructorEducation
Child Development Program Coordinator
- M.A., Siena Heights University
- B.A., Siena Heights University
Recent Awards and Achievements
- Received the Outstanding Graduate Student Award, Siena Heights University
- Has worked with young children — ages 3-5 — for the nearly 30 years
- Presented at numerous state and national conferences as Early Childhood educator and consultant
The mission of the Child Development Program is to assist students to become competent and ethical teachers and childcare providers. To reach this goal, it is important for students to have a solid foundation in theories of child development and opportunities to analyze and reflect on best practices. Experiences of students are valued and respected and the importance of collaboration and cooperation is stressed. The philosophy incorporates the following beliefs:
- As lifelong learners, we learn from each other.
- Learning is an active process.
- Teachers are facilitators of learning supporting and extending ideas.
- It is important to value and respect the uniqueness of each individual and recognize the importance of meeting individual needs and learning styles.