Bishop of Memphis the Most Rev. Terry Steib and Sister Attracta Kelly to Receive Honorary Degrees
Approximately 400 students will receive their degrees during commencement ceremonies at 2 p.m. May 4 at Siena Heights University. Commencement ceremonies will be conducted in the SHU Fieldhouse.
This is the official celebration for students on the Adrian campus and for students in Siena’s Southfield, Monroe, Port Huron, Rochester, Ann Arbor, Jackson, Lansing and Distance Learning programs. Tickets are required for all guests.
Receiving honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degrees at this year’s ceremony will be Bishop of Memphis, Tenn., the Most Rev. Terry Steib, and Sister Attracta Kelly, OP. Bishop Steib is known as the architect of the “Miracle of Memphis,” a groundbreaking vision that is redefining inner-city Catholic education in the United States. Sister Attracta is widely recognized as North Carolina’s leading non-profit provider of legal assistance in the field of immigration law.
The following is a list of events coinciding with commencement day:
- Baccalaureate Mass: Graduates and families of all faiths are welcome at this Catholic mass in Lumen Ecclesiae Chapel on the Adrian campus at 10 a.m. May 4. No reservations are needed.
- Commencement Brunch: Brunch will be available on the main campus on May 4 in Benincasa Dining Hall between 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.; Tickets are $7.50 for adults, $4.35 for children.
- Kente Ceremony: African-American alumni will present Kente stoles to bachelor’s and master’s degree candidates of color at ceremonies prior to commencement. Participation is free, but graduates must register in advance and must march in commencement.
Separate Commencement ceremonies are also conducted in Battle Creek and Benton Harbor. The schedule is as follows:
- Commencement in Battle Creek is at 2 p.m. May 17. This is the official celebration for students in Siena’s SHU@Kellogg Community College program. Guest tickets are not required.
- Commencement in Benton Harbor is at 1 p.m. May 18. This is the official celebration for students in Siena’s SHU@Lake Michigan College program. Guest tickets are not required.
For general questions and information about commencement, please call 517-264-7123.