Veteran Benefits

For each of the Chapter bills below,

  • All courses must meet the requirements of your chosen program.
  • Report any changes in your class load to the VA Office to avoid over payments.
  • Additional questions about your enrollment? Ask the Registrar's Office at SHU at 517-264-7123 or the St. Louis Regional Office at 1-888-442-4551. SHU offers many programs to assist veterans and their dependents to attend college. Their benefits and requirements are described below.

Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty)

If you paid $1200 to the program while on active duty, then you can receive:

  • $1,158 a month as a full-time student if you have served less than three years.
  • $1,426 a month as a full-time student if you have served for three years or longer.
  • You may receive more if granted a "kicker" (i.e.: Army College Fund)
  • You may receive less if your attendance is less than full time.

To activate Chapter 30 G.I. Bill:

  • Fill out Application 22-1990.
  • Provide a certified copy of DD-214 (form 4).
  • Once registered with SHU, fill out a "VA Request Form" every semester and provide all paperwork to SHU's Registrar’s Office.

Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve)

If you commit to a 6-year enlistment in the Military Reserves or National Guard, then you can receive:

  • $337 a month as a full-time student.
  • This amount may vary for the same reasons as above in Chapter 30.

To activate Chapter 1606:

  • Fill out Application 22-1990.
  • Provide a notice of basic eligibility (NOBE) from the drilling unit.
  • Once registered with Siena Heights, fill out a "VA Request Form" and provide all paperwork to SHU's Registrar's Office.

Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill)

If you

  • Have 90 days or more of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001
  • Were discharged with a service-connected disability for the Post-9/11 GI.

Then you can receive:

  • Financial support for education and housing
  • Undergraduate and graduate degrees and vocational/technical training
  • Tutorial assistance, and licensing and certification test reimbursement
  • Your tuition cost paid based upon the highest in-state tuition charged by a university in Michigan
  • The difference for more expensive tuition with the Yellow Ribbon Program.

The GI Bill may be able to be transferred to dependents. See for more information.

To activate Chapter 33:

  • Sign up with Registrar's Office.
  • Once you receive your letter of eligibility, return it to the Registrar's office.
  • Fill out a VA Request Form and submit all paperwork every semester to the Registrar's office.

Chapter 35 (Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance)

If you are a dependent of a Veteran deemed 100% totally and permanently disabled, service-connected or killed in action, then:

  • you may be eligible for $936 a month as full-time student.
  • This amount will be less if you are a part-time student.

To check eligibility and activate Chapter 35,

  • Register with the Registrar's Office.
  • Fill out Application 22-5490.
  • Fill out a VA Request form and submit all paperwork every semester.

Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)

Veterans deemed 20% disabled or greater may be eligible. Recipients receive:

  • Tuition
  • Books
  • Monthly allotment based on the number of dependents

For more information contact the Michigan’s Department of Veterans Affairs at 517-335-6523.

Chapter 1607 (Reserve Educational Assistance Program

If you were activated after September 11, 2001, then:

  • You are either eligible for education benefits or increased benefits.
  • If you are a National Guard member or an eligible reservist, you may get education benefits while in an approved training program.
  • Once registered you must fill out a VA Request form and submit all paperwork every semester.
Contact Us at (800) 521-0009.
Siena Heights University Main Campus. 1247 E. Siena Heights Dr. Adrian, MI 49221.