Learn more about the Music program at Siena Heights.
The mission of the Music Department at Siena Heights University is to help students to reach their potential by educating them to create, perform, and understand music.
1. The Department is dedicated to the idea that music is an integral part of a liberal arts education.
2. The Department’s approach to music education is based on the idea that music is an important part of all students’ lives, creating more balanced, tolerant and ethical human beings.
3. The Department focuses on the integration of performance, creation, listening and the understanding of music.
4. The Department involves, serves, educates and enriches the residents and the entire community through performances, education and collaboration with schools and community organizations.
5. The Department presents creative, innovative and exciting performances, while providing educational opportunities of the highest quality.
- SHU has outstanding and experienced faculty
- SHU offers exceptional programs in instrumental and vocal music
- SHU offers private lessons on every instrument by highly trained and experienced professionals
- Scholarships are available for performing in the choir or band
- Larger scholarships are available for incoming music majors
· Acapelicans, directed by Michael Yuen
· Concert Band, directed by Wes King
· Jazz Band
· Marching Band, directed by Wes King
· Men’s Chorus, directed by Kelly Ford
· Mixed Chorus, directed by Kelly Ford
· Orchestra, directed by Linda Deatrick
· Wind Ensemble
Here are some of the directions you can go with Music at Siena Heights:
- The Acapelicans
- Audio recording and production
- Create a movie
- Jazz Ensemble
- Guitar classes
- Men’s and Women’s Chorus
- Music History
- Music Theory
- Music Lessons
- Music Business
- Piano Lessons
- Voice classes
- SHU Youth Symphony
Meet the faculty of the Music Department
Instructor of Music, Director of Bands517-264-7898
Learn about the career opportunities you can have in Music.
Here are just a sampling of careers in the music field:
- Audio engineering
- Church musician
- Film scoring
- Music arranging
- Music composition
- Music industry
- Music software development
- Music therapist
- Recording editing
- Symphony orchestra
- Video game sound
Learn more about Music clubs on campus.
SHU Youth Symphony
Directed by Linda Deatrick, the SHU Youth Symphony is in its 21st year. The orchestra has expanded to include many students from ages 11-22 from Hillsdale, Washtenaw and Lucas (Ohio) counties, in addition to Lenawee County. It performs several times throughout the year.
Starting in the spring of 2007, the Siena Heights Acapelicans are dedicated to quality a cappella and the performance of a cappella. They are directed by Michael Yuen.
Started in the fall 2011 by new music program director Beth Tibbs, the choir is open to SHU students, faculty and staff, as well as the community. The group plans to perform at the Vatican in the winter of 2012.
Arts Scholarship Days
Siena Heights University conducts Arts Scholarship Days for prospective students.
High school seniors and transfer students who would like to major in music, art or theater or perform in the choir, band, marching band, orchestra or jazz band can schedule an audition or portfolio review and campus visit during Arts Scholarship Days @ Siena. Scholarships will be awarded to qualifying students. In addition to their audition or portfolio review, students may have the opportunity to meet with current scholarship recipients over lunch, have an individual meeting with Admissions Counselor and enjoy a campus tour.
Pre-registration is required.
Please check back for the 2015-16 dates!